Elephant Poo Paper
WoW! All these paper products (Notebook, Postcards, Pads and more..) are made from elephant poo!
How it all began:
Vijendra, a craftsman from India, had many years of experience in the handmade paper industry, and even had a small paper-making unit in his own house. One morning, Vijendra and his colleague went to a fort in Rajasthan called Amer Fort. Suddenly, Vijendra saw 40 or 50 elephants gathered close to the parking area. It was the first time Vijendra had seen such extraordinary creatures – let alone dozens of them in one place. Out of curiosity, he observed the elephants making their way up the hill to Amer Fort. He was so engrossed in his thoughts, little did he know that one of the elephants was about to poop right on his head! Luckily, his colleague pulled him away just in time, as the elephant dung weighed 2.5 or 3 kilograms and fell from a height of almost 2 metres. But what was most interesting to Vijendra was the texture of the elephant dung: it seemed to be made up of fibres, just like those he used for pulp to create his handmade paper.
It was this experience that inspired Vijendra to use dung to make paper pulp. It wasn’t easy: he made several attempts and it didn’t happen overnight. But eventually, after a few months, he found the technique needed to produce paper.
Why use dung paper instead of regular paper?
- Reduced deforestation – no trees need to be cut down to produce it.
- Fewer chemicals – the production of regular paper uses many chemicals, which pollute the soil when thrown away. Dung paper is naturally produced, using no harmful chemicals, and it acts as manure when it’s thrown away.
- Less water – after paper production, the water is re-used for irrigation.
- Less waste, better cleanliness – using animal waste to create something new helps keep the elephants’ habitats clean.
What can be made from dung paper?
- … And anything else that uses paper!
Click at the following link for all WoW! sustainable labels: Click here